In this article, I would like to share the steps for creating a document library with folders in SharePoint, using Visual Studio 2015. In my previous article, we saw how to create document library manually in SharePoint Online Site.
What a SharePoint Document Library is –
- A Document Library is a collection of files that you can share as documents with your team members.
- A Document Library stores the files and you can maintain the data in various folders.
- A SharePoint Document Library is a place on a site where you can create, collect, and update files with others.
- You can set the permission to each Document Library for the users.
- You can show a Document Library in web part pages as List View Web Parts.
SharePoint provides templates for us to create SharePoint list and library. Each and every list will have its own list instance and list definition. In Visual Studio SharePoint projects, we can see the list instance, and the folders can be added in the list instance.
Follow the below listed steps to create Library with folders.
Already we saw how to create the SharePoint project using Visual Studio 2015.
Open your SharePoint project in VS 2015.
Then, create a subfolder under this project to keep the list and libraries separate. Right click the project and choose Add >> New Folder.
Provide the folder name as per your need.
Right click on the library folder and select Add >> New item….
When you click the “New Item”, you will get a pop up as shown below. Here, select the list template and provide a name for your library.
Then, press “Add” button to create a new library.
After you click the “Add” button, you need to provide library name and template. I have selected picture library template. Then, click “Finish” button.
Finally, the library will be added in our SharePoint project.
Now, we need to add the folders inside the library. So, add the below code in sample library element.xml file.
- <Field Name=“ContentTypeId”>0x0120004F994A3C0FF76546A528DA0D4B515898</Field>
- <Field Name=“FileLeafRef”>Images</Field>
- <Field Name=“Title”> Images</Field>
- <Field Name=“FSObjType”>1</Field>
Once you add the above code, deploy the solution from VS. Your new Library will be created successfully with folder, as shown in below image.
In this article, we have explored how to create a document library with the predefined folders in SharePoint using Visual Studio 2015.